At the National Equity Project, we believe that every child has the right to a quality education, and we support people to become the leaders who make good on that promise. Our mission is to dramatically improve educational experiences, outcomes, and life options for students and families who have been historically underserved by their schools and districts. We work to build culture, conditions, and competencies for excellence and equity in districts, schools, classrooms, nonprofits, and communities. We work with partners across the U.S. who are committed to achieving equity in education.
We are seeking a full-time Events Manager to lead and manage the logistical activities for the Black Teacher Project (BTP) as well as the Center for Equity Leadership (CEL). The ideal candidate is passionate and meticulous about creating an environment that supports racial affinity spaces and the positive engagement of participants. We are looking for someone in this role that is highly organized, self-aware, self-motivated, systems-minded and detail oriented. They must have excellent communication skills and a proven ability to offer superior customer service. This person should be aligned with our mission and core values of working toward equity.
This position is based out of Oakland, CA and will require working and attending some events in the evenings and weekends.
Areas of Responsibility
- Lead and manage all logistics for the Black Teacher Project and provide support for the Center for Equity Leadership, which hosts a combined 40+ events annually, working in close collaboration with the Directors and Operations staff of BTP and CEL.
- Research and secure event locations, catering, and lodging; work with venues to finalize contracts, payment, catering, and other logistical information while adhering to budget guidelines.
- Manage and execute physical set up of rooms, including moving tables and chairs, and hanging decor (must be able to lift 25 pounds), to create a conducive space for participant engagement.
- Manage inventory of BTP and CEL equipment and supplies, including the purchase and allocation of equipment and supplies.
- Print, collate and organize printed materials.
- Manage event communications, including creating FAQ pages for events, answering calls and emails from participants in a timely and professional manner, and sending pre- and post- surveys.
- Occasionally coordinate with external speakers and partners.
- Support scholarship application process for CEL events.
- Oversee logistics related to non-local events and work with Consulting Business Unit team members and support staff to manage the following:
- Identify and secure event locations and catering
- Manage logistics and payment
- Resource ordering
- Registration and client communication
Event Promotion and Registration Management
- Work closely with the Marketing Director to manage and maintain contact information.
- Collaborate with BTP and CEL Directors and NEP Marketing Director to set and execute strategy for event promotion.
- Create and maintain event registration pages (using Eventbrite platform) and update NEP Website.
- Coordinate with the Finance department to ensure proper accounting of payments and expenses.
Internal Events & Operations
- Provide logistical support for internal events, (i.e. Staff Collective meetings) which includes ordering catering, identifying event locations and lodging, and coordinating internal room booking and scheduling.
CEL Planning & Development
- Capture, organize, analyze, and present data to team regarding success of events.
- Refine systems and processes for continuous improvement of event execution.
- Work collaboratively with other NEP teams to curate and update event materials and resources, such as resource book content.
- Support reflection and planning activities around BTP and CEL goal setting, reflection and planning.
- 3-5 years experience in an administrative or event management role
- Associate or Bachelor's degree preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Commitment to accuracy, excellent attention to detail, highly efficient and conscientious about thorough follow-up
- High degree of initiative, self-motivated, resourceful
- Team player who enjoys interaction with professionals, peers, and those served by the organization
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills, with proven ability in scheduling, calendaring and coordinating logistics for meetings, special events and mailings
- Ability to plan and prioritize multiple projects/duties when faced with interruptions, fluctuating workload, and conflicting deadlines, and complete them in timely manner
- Proficient with Internet research, Microsoft Office Suite Software, specifically Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Knowledge of Salesforce.com, Vertical Response, WordPress.com, Eventbrite and/or Google AdWords a plus
- Experience producing webinars a plus
- Strong aesthetic and design sense; knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator a plus
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and work occasional early mornings/evenings/weekends
- A strong commitment to the mission, goals and work of NEP
The National Equity Project is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employment opportunities are decided upon on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We encourage people from historically underserved communities and groups to apply, and welcome your application even if you do not meet every one of the above requirements.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with expertise and previous experience. Our benefits package is comprehensive.